Sunday, August 24, 2014

There's More to Disney Than Frozen!



    For most of my life, well, all of my life, I grew up watching Disney movies. From Cinderella to the Jungle Book and everything in between. I fell in love with the way the characters moved across the screen and the way the colors faded into one another. They were flawless, and I wanted to do that someday, too. 
   
   As I got older, I watched more new Disney movies pop into the box office and wow the younger generation with their magic and creativity. Pixar came to life with Toy Story and a Bug's Life, and I was in awe. Even when I was older!
   
   The last Disney movie that I watched in theaters was Frozen. Everybody was raving about it, so I HAD to see it. I watched it and I loved it and that was the end. I pinned a few Elsa and Anna pins on Pinterest and agreed that they should be in the Princess Line Up (even though Elsa is actually a queen) and join the rest of the posse. 
  
    If there's one thing that I dislike, it's a bandwaggoner. Someone who just jumps on a fanfare, a sports team, or a celeb when they do something awesome. I was seeing more and more of that with Disney because of Frozen. I wasn't mad, per say, but I was disappointed. Let me tell you why:
  
   I was disappointed that parents weren't showing their kids the Disney movies that THEY grew up on. Most little girls I've come into contact with don't know who Aurora, or Cinderella, or Jasmine is. They've never even danced in their living room to the Goofy Movie song, or have sang along to Kiss the Girl from the Little Mermaid. They've only seen Frozen. 
  
   And let me say again, I loved Frozen. Disney is growing and growing and that makes me so happy. But there is more to Disney than Frozen. There are so many wonderful and magical movies to be seen and sung along to. 
   
   So, parents reading this, I ask you to show your kids the originals. Show them Aladdin and Peter Pan. Show them Song of the South. Show them the Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. And when they watch them, you watch them, too. We all need to be a kid sometimes, and that's the best place to start. It's up to you to bring the magic into their lives and teach them that all they need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie dust. You'll thank me later.

Have a Magical Day,
Briar Rose 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment